Thanks to everyone who entered last week – the first installment had a good response and you proved yourselves a generally honest bunch, as only one person actually answered all ten questions correctly: congratulations, Ciarán! (correct answers are at the end of this post)
Here’s a new batch for this week. Email answers to theworldwontlisten AT hotmail.co.uk by next Wednesday and I’ll post the winner a bunch of CDs.
1. Richey Edwards disappeared in 1995 and was presumed dead in 2008. What band (who release their 11th album today) was he a member of?
2. The Mercury Prize nominations were released this week. How many of 2013’s nominees are debut albums?
3. Andrew VanWyngarden and Ben Goldwasser are the frontmen of which executively-titled American band?
4. These are the birth names of rap artists: name them (a point for each correct answer). A) Shawn Carter B) Dwayne Carter, Jr. C) Calvin Broadus, Jr.
5. “I just thought they were a load of retarded Irish folk singers”. What band was Mark E. Smith, curmudgeonly frontman of The Fall, referring to?
6. Who or what links Arcade Fire with Marcus Lambkin, aka Irish electro musician Shit Robot?
7. Body/Head is the new musical project of which legendary alt-rock female musician?
8. “My life is brilliant. My love is pure” – the opening line to which maligned worldwide megahit from 2005?
9. Rufus and Martha are the musically-inclined offspring of which two acclaimed folk singers?
10. Nirvana’s ‘In Utero‘. Blur’s ‘Modern Life is Rubbish‘. 2Unlimited’s ‘No Limits‘. What year?
LAST WEEK’S ANSWERS:
1. Four Tet
2. Arctic Monkeys – ‘Fluorescent Adolescent‘
3. Fatboy Slim. They collaborated on ‘Here Lies Love‘, a concept album about the life of Imelda Marcos. (It wasn’t very good)
5. John Wayne (Little Green Cars have a song called ‘The John Wayne‘ and Sean Thornton is the character that Wayne played in The Quiet Man. What? Too obscure?)
6. Modest Mouse
7. Grace Jones in 2008
8. Mark ‘E’ Everett of Eels
10. I would accept any of the following, not to mention the numerous part-time members: Method Man, Raekwon, RZA, GZA, Ghostface Killah, Masta Killa, Inspectah Deck, U-God. I’d have even accepted ODB. (RIP)